Monday, October 8, 2018

The Mummy with Brendan Fraser


The Mummy (1999)
An update of the Boris Karloff version, this is by far my favorite version. Brendan Fraser in his heyday! And the female, Evie, is a librarian. They have to defeat the evil Imhotep, who is once again trying to raise his dead lover. In this version, Imhotep is a much more powerful enemy bringing with him, the Plagues. The story is fun and engaging with lots of one liners that brings the horror down a notch. A great movie for this Halloween season!



The Mummy Returns (2001)
They manage to bring back Imhotep so the bad guys can find the Scorpion King (The Rock in his first ever movie roll) and raise his army of creepy Anubis soldiers. In this one Evie and Rick have a son who is really quite annoying. Also the special effects are not as great as the first movie. Still a fun addition to the franchise!
The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)

This is the weakest of the trilogy. Rachel Wiez doesn’t come back as Evie and I really feel that Evie and Rick were superfluous. This one takes place in China with the idea of the terracotta warriors being enchanted mummies. The first time I watched it I hated it because I had such high expectations. The second time I watched it my expectations were significantly lower. I enjoyed it that time around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment