Sunday, March 27, 2016

The First Easter Rabbit (1976)



When I was a small child, I saw a couple of Rankin/Bass Easter specials made around the same time as their more famous Christmas specials. I looked on Amazon the other day and found out that they were still available. Since today is Easter I thought I might share at least one with you.
The First Easter Rabbit is very loosely on the story of the Velveteen Rabbit. As you know, in the original story a toy bunny is loved by a young boy. When the boy gets Scarlet Fever, his parents throw out all of his old toys and clothes to purify the room. The bunny is found by a fairy who makes her real and thus saves her from the fire.
In The First Easter Rabbit the story follows Velveteen for the first half of the story, then after the fairy makes the bunny real, he travels to Easter Valley in the North Pole to become the First Easter Bunny. He then saves Easter from the evil Zero who wants to make the warm, spring like Easter Valley like the rest of the North Pole. It was fun when I was six. I have not actually seen it in years, so I'm not sure what I would think of it today, but I still thought I would share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment