Sunday, December 27, 2015

Santa Claus is Comin to Town (1970)

  


I know what you're thinking. Christmas was on Friday. I shouldn't be doing any more Christmas stories. Well, according to Old World traditions, Christmas actually lasts through January 6th. This is Twelfth Night when the Three Wise Men supposedly showed up in Bethlehem. So in that tradition, I'm giving you one more Christmas story.
The story of Santa Claus is one of my favorite Christmas specials. It tells the story of Kris Kringle, a human child raised by the Kringle elves. When he crosses the mountain to deliver the beautiful toys that the Kringles have made, he learns that the evil Burgermeister Meisterburger has outlawed all toys because "they are out to get him." Meisterburger makes Kris an outlaw and all the traditions that we know about Santa like how he comes down the chimney and leaves presents in stockings was Kris' attempts to get around the Meisterburger's silly laws. It is an adorable story that I enjoy almost every year.
One of things that I find fun about these Rankin Bass Christmas specials is how their narrator puppets always look like the person who is actually narrating. For instance, Fred Astaire narrates this story. Notice the similarities between his character and him:






So let me leave you with old Fred singing the title song to make you happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment