Friday, June 16, 2023

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (1999)

 

I really have mixed feelings about the prequel series. On the one hand, I grew up on the original trilogy so I know what happens. I know that the adorable little Anakin Skywalker becomes one of the most notorious villains in science fiction history. I feel that the special effects are subpar to the original series because Lucas relies too much on early CGI instead of the great practical effects that they had in the original. But there are some good things too. I really like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. I like Qui-Gon Jinn as a character. And It was wonderful to once again dive into that galaxy far far away. I recently rewatched Phantom Menace with a friend. Because I knew that it did not compare to the original trilogy, I was able to enjoy it for what it was. The prequel trilogy along with the show The Clone Wars is essentially Darth Vader’s origin story. It shows the decisions and circumstances that corrupted the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and led him to give into the Dark Side of the Force to become Darth Vader. We know the outcome, but it is interesting to see the path that led there.

Enjoy this song by Weird Al that gives you the entire plot in 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU


No comments:

Post a Comment