Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Wolf's Children Prologue

This is the prologue to my story The Wolf's Children. I would be interested in any comments that you have.



Prologue
            Orris fluttered over his master in concern, his little blue wings shedding gold pixie dust over the bed where the Earl lay. He turned slightly to face the elf prince that sat next to his nephew, the same concern lacing his fine features that lay in Orris' small face. "He is going to be all right, is he not, Your Highness?" the pixie asked anxiously.
            "I do not know," Prince Tristan said with a sigh. "That vampire's bite was deep. We have done all we can, but I fear that the leg will always be weak even if he does survive the poison."
            "But his lordship is strong; he will survive," Orris said with a determined look on his small face.
            "I certainly hope so. I just lost two of my favorite brothers-in-law, I do not want to lose my favorite nephew as well," Tristan said with another sigh. "Not my best friend."
            The tent flap opened briefly, "Is he awake?" a voice asked softly.
            Tristan turned in surprise to see Aine, the Queen of Summer, standing on the threshold of the room. "Uh, no. He is still trying to fight off the poison," he managed after a moment.
            "Here," she said, thrusting a goblet filled with some kind of warm, red, liquid in it. "According to Khione that will help him."
            Tristan lifted the goblet to his nose and sniffed. His senses were not as keen as his nephew's, but he instantly recognized the metallic smell of blood.
            He looked to the queen in surprise. "Khione said it would help," Aine replied. "If you do not feed it to him, I will."
            She stood and watched as he held Duncan's nose so he was forced to open his mouth and poured the liquid down his throat. The high prince then watched as the Queen of Summer exited the tent as softly as she came. He knew that as long as he lived, he would wonder what this day was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment